1. Stephanie Kuntupis — $3.75 million: The girl, then 2, suffered permanent brain damage in 2007.
2. B.D. — $2.3 million: The boy was abused and starved from 2002 to 2004 by his Clackamas County foster parents, Thelma and William Beaver. He weighed more at age 1 than he did at age 3, when he was removed from the home.
3. Kaylie and Jordan Collins — $2 million: The twins, 3, were deprived of food and medical care, and kept in cribs covered with chicken wire in a darkened room in the Gresham foster home of Gail and Marvin Thompson from 2002 to 2005.
4. Jordan Knapp — $1.5 million: At 5, the girl weighed 28 pounds when she was rushed from the Clackamas County foster home of Thelma and William Beaver to OHSU with a broken skull in 2004.
5. Estate of Jeanette Maples — $1.5 million: In 2009, the 15-year-old Eugene girl’s body was found in a bathtub after years of prolonged beatings and starvation. State welfare officials received reports that the girl was being abused but did not remove her from the home.