Authorities Investigate After Foster Care Toddler Suffers Skull Fracture

Authorities are investigating after a young South Florida boy in foster care was hospitalized Wednesday with a severe head injury.
Charlie Costa, just 11 months old, was rused to Coral Springs Medical Center with a skull fracture. He was later transferred to Broward General Hospital, where doctors called the Department of Children and Families.
"We have been made aware of the incident and began looking into it immediately this afternoon," DCF spokesman Mark Riordan said late Wednesday. "We understand that the child's condition has improved and we anticipate that he'll be released this evening."
Jim Lewis, the attorney for Costa's biological parents, said the foster parents claim the boy was hurt at a daycare center.
Lewis said that there may be a child abuse investigation.
"We know from talking to the emergency room doctor that this was not an accident, this had to be from a very hard, blunt force trauma," Lewis said. "We're just gonna have to be patient and see what the authorities say."
Lewis said the boy was removed from his mother's care about six months ago, after he was hospitalized with a burned hand after Costa's mother says the boy reached into a bowl of hot soup. But the mom, who alllegedly has a history of drug use, was slurring her words when she brought him in, and Charlie was placed in a foster home.
"It was a mistake," the boy's grandfather, Nicki Costa, said about the burning. "He got burned by a mistake."
Lewis said he hopes the boy will be given back to his biological family. He said a custody hearing has been scheduled for Thursday afternoon.   
"This child should be returned to his mother, his mother had done everything that DCF has asked of her, in terms of drug tests and parenting classes," Lewis said. "She's been ready to take her child back for some time, and DCF has refused, but hopefully tomorrow in light of this, this child's gonna be returned to his mother where he should be."